Thursday, December 10, 2009

these are a few of my favorite things...


Parenting has been quite the education... Emory was born the first day of my fall semester of my junior year. Since then there has been so many ups and downs. It seems Emory likes to have the worst nights when I have an important test the next day, or something going on where sleep is essential.

I don't believe in Meghan doing all the work, so I try and help out however I can. This usually involves changing him while he is screaming and I have had about three hours of sleep, my head is splitting, and he is looking at me like I'm his worst enemy... delaying his meal.

The past three and a half months I've found myself stressed, tired, grumpy, edgy and rather explosive, somewhat depressed, and not terribly hopeful (did I mention stressed and tired?). All this being said, I've also felt more patience, love, responsibility, joy, and blessings.

But since Emory has been born, I find myself seeing certain changes in our house, some good some bad, all pouring into my heart the joy of fatherhood.

So these are a few of my favorite things...


Naps, and watching him sleep in general, with his arms above his head...

I have always been a car guy and taken pride in my vehicles and such... but one thing I adore is seeing him in his car seat in the car, even if that car is slow and has four doors.

After the initial early wake up where he eats and we're groggy, he falls back asleep with Meghan and I love seeing them in bed... and he is so tiny.

finding these all around the house...

and his toys...

and books...

and especially seeing his tiny clothes in the laundry.

The realities that aren't always fun, but realistic, make me smile, and are a big part of the whole experience...


As I write this post it is about 1:30am, and I have to still get the clothes from the dryer, shower, and get to bed. All to wake up early to study for my Macro-Economic Theory final which is tomorrow and I have not even cracked open a book to study for yet...


but he is SO worth it all!

1 comment:

  1. I bet you're a wonderful father, Jon! It was fun reading about how you view parenthood...and it made me have a better perspective of how it's been for Bry being a dad, while juggling all of his responsibilities. Anyway, thanks for posting. You guys are great!

    ReplyDelete