Sunday, April 1, 2012

general conference traditions and things

Somehow it's become our tradition to have cinnamon rolls during General Conference. What's better is that we had the missionaries from our church and my sisters here to share with. So the 33 gooey goodnesses that are gone as of now are not all in my belly. All I have to say is Paula Deen, you're a woman who knows what to do when it comes to buttery, doughy, palatable pastry.

The recipe is just too good to not share.

Cinnamon Rolls, courtesy of Paula Deen, with a couple of my own adaptions, of course

Dough:
1 package yeast
1/2 c warm water
1/2 c scalded milk cooled to 110º F
1/4 c sugar
1/3 c melted butter or shortening (I used unsalted butter)
1 t salt
1 egg
3 1/2 to 4 c flour (I used closer to 3 1/2 in this climate and they turned out perfectly moist)

Filling:
1/2 c melted butter, plus more for pan (we used PLENTY in the pans)
3/4 c sugar, plus more for pan (I used 2 parts cane sugar, 1 part brown sugar)
2 T ground cinnamon
3/4 c raisins, walnuts, or pecans, optional (raisins--ew, and I would have used pecans, but one of the missionaries is allergic so I left them out and the rolls were still divine)

Glaze:
4 T softened butter
2 c powdered sugar (I always try to use less sugar in icing because I don't like it too sweet)
1 t vanilla extract (I always use more than called for)
3 to 6 T hot water

Directions:
Heat oven to 350º F.

In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside. In a large bowl, mix cooled milk, sugar, melted butter, salt and egg. Add 2 cups of flour and mix until smooth. Add yeast mixture. Mix in remaining flour until dough is easy to handle. Knead dough on lightly floured surface for 5 to 10 minutes. Place in well-greased bowl, cover and let rise until double in size, usually 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

When doubled in size, punch down dough. Roll out on a floured surface into a 15 by 9-inch rectangle. Spread melted butter all over dough. Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over buttered dough. Sprinkle with nuts or raisins (again, ew!), if desired. Beginning at the 15-inch side, roll up dough and pinch edge together to seal. Cut into 12 to 15 slices. (I doubled the recipe and had 33, some pretty small). Coat the baking pan with butter and sprinkle with sugar. Place cinnamon roll slices close together in the pan and let rise until dough is doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake for 30 minutes (I think mine were in for 20 so watch them closely, and make sure your over rack is not all the way to the bottom--let's just say my pan on the bottom had some really caramelized butter and sugar going on).

Meanwhile, mix butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Add hot water 1 T at a time until the glaze reaches desired consistency. Spread over slightly cooled rolls.

Eat and enjoy, then thank me and Paula Deen later.

Now that we've spent the past two days enjoying conference from our home (can I just say I absolutely love the spirit it brings to our home), I feel more ready to face challenges and the call to be better, more patient and kind, less judgmental, and happier because of it all. Emory was really pretty good, and it was a treat to have the missionaries and Kendal and Amber here with us. 

Favorite talk. It's a great message for anyone, mormon or not.


Photos courtesy of Instagram. Follow me @megbeutler. 

No comments:

Post a Comment