Monday, October 24, 2011

happy october

October is my favorite month. I love the crisp but sunny air, the colors, my birthday, good, hearty food, crunching leaves, even the rain. And I especially love pumpkin bread. I shared this recipe last year, but somehow blogger deleted the post--the nerve--so I'm sharing it again. I just made it over the weekend to retest my adaptions (and try a batch gluten and dairy free--I used Bob's Red Mill gluten free all-purpose flour and earth balance and it turned out excellent), and it's already gone, it's that good.




Pumpkin Bread 

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted, plus room temp for pans
2 1/2 cups flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for pans
 (I always use whole wheat because I really like the texture it offers to the bread)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. (or more) pumpkin pie spice
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 can (15 oz) or 1 3/4 cups of pumpkin puree
3 large eggs
1-2 tsp. Vanilla


1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees, butter pans and coat with flour
2. In large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and spices.
3. In medium bowl, whisk sugars, butter, pumpkin, eggs, and vanilla.
4. Add to flour mixture, stir just until combined.
5. Bake about 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

I usually add chocolate chips (it's not too spicy so the chocolate still works well in the bread) and I love love love the crunch of pecans added as well. Also, I'd test the bread after about 40 minutes just to make sure it doesn't get too dry. I sometimes take the loaves out when they are still a little moist in the center and let them set up as they cool in the pans. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment